Thursday 4 March 2010

A Novella

“Should I mention it?” Dirk wondered. “Should I mention all of the bodies? She’ll see them, surely. She’ll see that I’ve killed all of these bankers and she’ll worry.”

Cassandra sauntered in through the bathroom window, as per.

“Why are you sitting on that casket?” she asked.

“We have to talk,” Dirk explained, “I’ve...killed a lot of bankers.”

“Right,” said Cassandra.

There was exactly the sort of pause you’d imagine there’d be. Perhaps even slightly longer. There was a palpable feeling of an appropriate kind.

“Never mind, though, eh?” Cassandra ventured. “I’m as bad myself,” she added, before opening the airing cupboard to release no less than a hundred dead bankers, some of them dating back years.

“Why didn’t you...”

“Mention it? I don’t know...it’s not the sort of thing you say, is it?”

No comments:

Post a Comment